"The Department of Health and Wellness Promotion (DHWP) is responsible for preventing and addressing diseases that threaten the health and well-being of Detroit citizens." (2011-12 budget planning document.) Its 2010 appropriations were about 83.5M; over 75% of that was from grants. April 2011, 160 of its 253 filled positions were grant-supported.
Goals, from 2011 Budget
- Reduce/eliminate health disparities impacting the citizens of Detroit.
- Develop and/or support innovative and evidence-based programs that address health priorities.
- Establish key partnerships to advance public health policy, practice and the delivery of services.
- Ensure access to preventive health services, to reduce the unwanted pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections; and immunization.
- Improve, protect and promote the health of women, infants and children.
- Prevent and control transmission of communicable diseases.
- Prevent and control injury and disease from exposure to environmental hazards.
- Strengthen the Department’s role and capacity as a first responder in the event of an environmental/biological threat.
- Improve the operational infrastructure for public health services.
- Prevent and assure treatment and recovery for substance abuse.
In May 2011, Detroit and Wayne County officials met to discuss merging the departments. Due to Detroit's population falling below 750,000 in the 2010 Census, the City may not be able to legally operate a health department unless the State Legislature amends the enabling legislation.
2011 Accounting Scandal
As of May 2011, the department was under investigation by the Mayor's office. Director Yvonne Anthony resigned (or was fired) and escorted out of the building by police in May 2011.
In August 2011, General Manager Audrey Smith was fired, possibly for approving unverified overtime.
- Wayne Co. and Detroit could merge health departments Detroit Free Press. 16 May 2011.
- Detroit health chief quits amid spending probe. Detroit News. 25 May 2011.
- Health director is fired by Bing. Detroit Free Press. 26 May 2011.
- Detroit health department manager fired. Detroit News. 24 August 2011.